What is an Alias?
An email alias does not have its own mailbox, but instead forwards mail to another email address. It can be considered a “virtual” email address. (If you need a new mailbox/ email address, rather than an alias, refer to this guide).
Aliases are useful for addresses such as info@…, sales@,… which can then be forwarded to a specific person’s email address – either within the same domain, or to any external email address. e.g. gmail.com.
In this way you can have a number of email addresses to fit your needs with only a handful of actual email accounts (mailboxes). The number of aliases and mailboxes permitted varies with each Web Hosting package.
How to Add an Alias
New mail aliases for your Hetzner domain are created via konsoleH:
2. If Admin level: Select or search for the required domain name in the Hosting Services tab
3. Click Mail from the left-hand menu > Manage Accounts under Mail
The main window is where all your active email accounts and aliases will be displayed. New hosting accounts have one active mailbox named webmaster@…
5. Insert the relevant information:
- Username is the email alias that you want to create e.g. email@example.com
- Forward to either
- a) another email address at that domain e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
- b) an external email address e.g. gmail.com e.g. email@example.com
6. Click Add
The alias does not get set up as an account on a your device (desktop or mobile), but simply forwards all mail to your chosen email address without retaining a copy.