This guide will help you fix errors in the setup of an email account in macOS Sierra Mail.
Is this the first time you’re setting up this email account? Then use our macOS Sierra setup guide, rather than this troubleshooting guide.
Change example.com to your domain name
Check account settings
- From the top menu choose Mail > Preferences…
- On the Accounts tab, choose the relevant account from the list on the left, and check:
- Enable this account is checked
- Download attachments is set according to your preference
- Click Server Settings
- Incoming Mail Server (IMAP)
- Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)
- Deselect (uncheck) the boxes for Automatically manage connection settings for both Incoming and Outgoing Mail Servers – additional fields will now be displayed.
- Select Advanced IMAP Settings
- Select Allow insecure authentication > OK
- Deselect (uncheck) the boxes for Use TSL/SSL for both Incoming and Outgoing Mail Servers.
- Under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) click the dropdown arrow at Account
- Select Edit SMTP Server List
- Make sure that Allow insecure authentication is ticked
- Click OK and Save. (Note: this button only becomes visible when settings have changed)Your macOS Sierra mail is now setup correctly.
Still struggling? Refer to our guide of common email problems or contact email@example.com.