This guide will help you fix errors in the setup of macOS Sierra Mail.
- Is this the first time you’re setting up this email account? Then use our macOS Sierra setup guide, rather than this troubleshooting guide.
- Change example.com to your domain name
Check account settings
- From the top menu choose Mail > Preferences…
2. On the Accounts tab, choose the relevant account from the list on the left, and check:
- Enable this account is checked
- Download attachments is set according to your preference
3. Click Server Settings
- Incoming Mail Server (IMAP)
- Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)
5. Deselect (uncheck) the boxes for Automatically manage connection settings for both Incoming and Outgoing Mail Servers – additional fields will now be displayed.
6. Select Advanced IMAP Settings
7. Select Allow insecure authentication > OK
8. Deselect (uncheck) the boxes for Use TSL/SSL for both Incoming and Outgoing Mail Servers.
9. Click Save. (Note: this button only becomes visible when settings have changed)
Your macOS Sierra mail is now setup correctly.
Still struggling? Refer to our guide of common email problems or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.