This guide takes you step-by-step through the process of setting up a new email account in Thunderbird for Mac.
If the Mail account is already set up, but giving errors – then refer to our Troubleshooting guide.
Replace example.com with your domain name
Check your password
- First, check your password by browsing to Webmail and trying to log in. If you aren’t able to log in, then you have the incorrect password. Forgotten passwords can be reset in konsoleH – you will need to get your domain or web administrator to update it for you if you don’t have konsoleH access.
♦ Automatic Account configuration
A new email account set up with Thunderbird is quick and easy using Automatic Account configuration.
However, reasons to rather use Manual Configuration are:
- if you prefer POP, as this automatic configuration defaults to IMAP
- if this is a new hosting account and domain propagation has not completed
View account settings
- Launch Mozilla Thunderbird
- If this Accounts screen opens, choose to Create a new account > Email – proceed to step 4
Or alternatively, on the toolbar at the top, select Tools and then Account Settings
Add mail account
- Click the Account Actions drop-down and then select Add Mail Account from the list
- Ignore this option and choose to Skip this and use my existing email?
Enter your details
- Enter the following details:
- Name (which will appear the “From” field in your emails)
- Email address
- Password (stipulated when you created your email account in konsoleH – (forgotten passwords can be reset in konsoleH)
- Then click Continue
- Thunderbird will now automatically check your email settings. Ignore this warning message, tick and choose Done
- This screen confirms your chosen settings > Done.
- If your settings are not found, click the Manual config button and continue:
♦ Manual configuration
Follow the Automatic configuration above, and then choose Manual config.
Ensure that your settings are correct as below (these are the default settings – replacing with your own name and domain).
- Choose POP or IMAP
- IMAP: Incoming port 143, Outgoing 587 (as below)
- POP : Incoming 110, Outgoing 587
- Ensure that the User Name is the full email address.
- If you don’t know your password, reset it via konsoleH.
- For new hosting accounts, temporarily use the IP address instead of the Incoming & Outgoing mail servers.
- Choose POP or IMAP
- Choose Re-test > Done.
Email still not working? Read our Troubleshooting Guide.