Mailboxes (email accounts) are encrypted on our servers. However, unauthorised people or applications can still take control of your email account by means of spyware or simply guessing a weak password.
If, for example, your password has been set to “info123” or “domain123”, this is very easy for a spammer to guess and the chances are good that your mailbox will be compromised at some point.
If you are responding to an email from our Abuse team, action is required of you:
- If we have informed you that we have changed all your passwords, you simply need to enter the new password into your email application, such as Outlook, or your mobile phone.
- If we have asked you to change all your mailbox passwords, this can be done in KonsoleH. You will need to inform us once this is done before you will be able to send mail again.
- It is always necessary for you to run security software such as anti-virus and anti-spyware. You should run a full scan of your PC before changing your password(s). Microsoft™ has a free safety scanner available to help scan and secure your PC.
Please be sure to only use strong passwords on all accounts at all times.
The repercussions of compromised sites are severe:
- Blacklisting of servers results in mail delivery failures for all domains hosted on the server.
- Damage to the reputation of all parties involved.
- Financial implications including de-listing fees, disrupting business continuity.
It is for these reasons that Hetzner takes abuse extremely seriously and reserves the right to suspend or terminate, without warning, any service in violation of our abuse policy, whether the abuse was intentional or not.