The Linux Rescue System allows you to access your server to diagnose and repair a damaged system and/or install a new Linux Operating System (OS) on your hard drive(s) quickly and conveniently.
The Linux Rescue System boots and runs entirely from the network -- no installation, configuration or setup functions required. By activating the Rescue System, you are able to boot and run your Self-Managed server using a minimal Linux Operating System (OS) through the Hetzner network. In other words, your server’s hard drive is not required to boot into the Rescue Operating System.
Once you have completed the necessary repairs, you will need to boot your server with your original or newly installed OS using your server’s hard drive as before.
For example: If your server’s boot loader configuration contains failures, you can use the Rescue System to repair it and rewrite the boot loader.
To activate the Linux Rescue System:
- Browse to konsoleH and log in at Admin level
- Select or search for your Self-Managed server in the Hosting Service tab
- Select Rescue System from the left-hand menu.
- Select 64bit Linux Rescue System
- Click on Activate in the top right-hand corner.
- A randomly generated password will be allocated to you to access the Rescue System. (Copy the password immediately).
- Reboot within 5 minutes to enter the Rescue System. The Rescue System will automatically deactivate after 5 minutes if you have not rebooted.
- For servers provisioned with a RMM:
- For servers provisioned with SuperMicro:
- SSH to the server (using Remote control or a Terminal session) with the details provided and execute the required commands.
- Use the IP address, username (root) and password provided, to log into the Rescue System via SSH.The following screen will show to confirm that you have booted the server into Rescue (this can take a couple of minutes)
- Once you have completed the repair, reboot your server to boot into your normal Operating System on your hard drive. Should you wish to install a new Linux OS, simply run the command ‘installimage’ once inside the Rescue System and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Once the command has run, select the OS you wish to install on the server (you will navigate the screen by using the arrows and ‘Enter’ to select the option):
- Then select the OS version you wish to install:
- The following screen will show once the OS option has been selected. Click ‘enter’ to continue with the installation:
- You can partition the server etc. Alternatively press F10 to proceed with the default installation:
- Confirm that all the data will be wiped from the SDA and SDB drives with the new OS installation:
- Once confirmed, the OS installation will proceed accordingly:
- The installation will take a couple of minutes to complete:
- Once the OS installation is complete, reboot your server to boot into your normal Operating System on your hard drive.