The Protect Directory tool is used to restrict access to specified directories on your domain thereby allowing you to grant privileged access to multiple users, each having their own login details e.g. username and password.
When a visitor browses to a protected directory, they will be prompted to provide a username and password. Only if the correct username and password combination is provided, will the webpage load.
Protect a directory via konsoleH:
- Browse to konsoleH and log in at Admin or Domain level
- If Admin level – Select or search for a domain name in the Hosting Service tab
- Select Manage Services
- Select Webserver config
- Select Protect Directory
- Select a directory from the directory listing. If the directory is a sub directory, there will be a [+] next to the main directory.
- Click on the [+] to display any sub directories of the main directory.
- Select the directory you wish to protect.
- A list of existing users is displayed (if there are any).
- Click on Add to setup a new user.
- Enter a username and password in the corresponding fields provided. Enter a description of the directory in the Dir. Name field.
- Click Add to enable the directory protection.
- When Auto-Generate is selected, a system generated username and password will be provided.
- Select Directory List to view the directory listing or ‘User List’ to view a user list for the protected directory.
Edit a password of a protected directory via konsoleH:
- Steps 1-6 above
- A protected directory selected from the directory listing will be indicated by a lock icon.
- Select the directory.
- Select Edit.
- Enter new password.
- Click Update.
Remove password protection from a directory via konsoleH:
- Steps 1-6 above
- Select the directory from the directory listing.
- Click Delete.
- Click Delete User to remove the user from the directory. Please note that if this is the only or last user for the directory, all protection will have been removed.
Usernames and passwords are case sensitive.